Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sweet and Sour Chicken



For those of you that have ever eaten at The New Hong Kong here in town and have tried their sweet n sour chicken, you must make this!! It tastes the same. It's really good paired up with Aunt Pat's Fried Rice {recipe below}.

3 lb. chicken breasts
1 tsp. garlic slat
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 beaten egg
6 TBSP. flour
3/4 c. sugar
3 TBSP. vinegar
1/2 c. chicken broth
3 1/2 TBSP. ketchup
1 TBSP. soy sauce
*Sprinkle chicken with garlic salt and pepper. Let stand for 1 hr or more. Preheat oven to 325. Dip chicken in egg and then in flour. Brown in hot oil. Place in baking dish.
Cover with following sauce: Mix sugar, vinegar, chicken broth, ketchup, and soy sauce in saucepan and heat. Pour over chicken. Bake uncovered for 1 hr. Turn chicken once. Makes 6 servings.
* I like to reserve a little sauce for dipping afterwards:)

Aunt Pat's Fried Rice
3 TBSP. vegetable oil
4 c. cooked rice
1 c. diced ham {or shrimp, chicken, etc.}
1 c. green peas
1/2 c. chopped green onion
4 eggs-broken, fired and chopped up
2 TBSP. soy sauce
salt to taste
*Heat oil in wok or skillet until it sizzles. Add rice and slat stirring constantly so rice doesn't stick. When rice is thoroughly heated add ham, peas, egg slivers, and soy sauce. Stir well. Toss in green onions, mix and serve.

3 comments:

Camille @ Camille's Casa said...

Mmmm, it's amazing that your hubby isn't chubby with the way you cook:) I hope you don't mind that I linked a recipe of yours from my blog, hope you get some visitors:)

Hanna in the Hizzzouse.. said...

Yes!!! I am alwyas looking for new recipes! Those reeses pieces cookies look divine!

Court said...

I made this tonight for dinner and it was amazing!!!! I didn't have any soy sauce (which I swore I had) so I used Teriyaki instead in both the chicken and rice. When I made the rice I used the same pot I warmed the sauce for the chicken in without rinsing it out. Gave it a bit more cooked in taste. It tasted just like the New Hong Kong!