Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Brine Tutorial

For any of you out there that need some help on cooking your turkey this year, I happen to have a few pointers.
I did a brine on my turkey last year and it turned out so scrumptious and moist. For those of you who are going "What the freakin crap is a brine?" That's what I said too.
A brine is a salt water mixture that you leave your turkey in overnight. It is usually 1 cup salt to 1 gallon water and let it dissolve. Then you add 1 cup of sweet substance such as sugar, brown sugar, or honey. After you've dissolved these you then add spices, whole peppercorns, garlic cloves or whatever you want. Then add your thawed, rinsed, and cleaned out turkey. Don't forget there are 2 cavities!! I only emptied out one my first year making a turkey:)
I put my mixture in a stock pot in the fridge or you can put it in an oven bag in your cooler and for all you Idaho folks just set it in the garage.
after you've brined overnight MAKE SURE YOU RINSE THE TURKEY OFF COMPLETELY before putting it in the oven. You will have a very moist and delicious turkey. You can check out a delicious brine recipe under my Thanksgiving category on the right hand side of my blog.

No comments: